The Saturn All-Range Overdrive is a great addition to any four wheel drive Willys vehicle. Screaming engines and whining gears may sound great for awhile but excessive RPM’s can mean death to any drive train component. The installation of this gear splitter unit will offer the capabilities of individual gear splitting and the overdrive comfort of a 25% reduction in engine RPM’s.
The All-Range Overdrive transmission is fully synchronized and can be installed with only minor modifications to the vehicle.
In 1961 Warn Industries produced the first Overdrive Transmission for Willys Jeep and IH Scout vehicles. This unit became the Warn All-Range Overdrive.
Soon after the Warn unit was introduced another unit emerged by the name of Husky or Dual-A-Matic. These units were identical in appearance to the Warn unit but had no interchangeable parts.
With the introduction of the Dana Spicer Model 20 transfer case the Warn and Husky overdrives were no longer compatible. Both companies stopped production of overdrives and parts became very scarce.
In 1991 Warn sold all of the tooling, engineering data and inventory for the Warn All-Range Overdrive to Advance Adapters.
The overdrive was renamed the Saturn Overdrive and all of the components manufactured today are interchangeable and the same as the old Warn components.
The Saturn Overdrive parts are not compatible with the Husky or Dual-A-Matic units.
The Saturn Overdrive installs directly into the PTO opening on the rear of the Dana Spicer Model 18 transfer case. No cutting or modification of the drive train is required. There are no relays or electrical connections.
The Saturn Overdrive cannot be installed in the Model 18 transfer case with the ¾” intermediate shaft and 27 tooth mainshaft gear as used on the MB and GPW.
Some of the benefits of the Saturn Overdrive include:
* An increase in engine and drive train life.
* A reduction of engine and transmission RPM’s by 25%.
* Combined with the low range of the transfer case and the ability to use it in two or four wheel drive, 32 different gearing combos can be had, not counting reverse.
* Improves gas mileage.
* Reduces transfer case whine.
* Fully synchronized -- shift up or down at any speed.
* Operates as overdrive or direct drive in any gear.
* Not a conversion kit--an all new unit.
* Installs easily without cutting drive line.
* Weighs only 25 pounds.